Packing Tips for ATVs, Jet Skis, Snowmobiles and Motorcycles
Space is a luxury not everyone has. Good thing there are self-storage units that can be rented to accommodate large items that we cannot keep at home, such as an all-terrain vehicle or ATV, jet ski, snowmobile, or motorcycle. Here are some tips to help you prepare these vehicles for storage so that they will be in great condition the next time you need to use them.
- When planning where to store your vehicle, also consider the amount of space that will be needed for the equipment that will be stored with it.
- Check the width of the self-storage unit’s door. Some vehicles may be too wide, such as double trailers, so make sure that your vehicle can fit through the door.
- Clean your vehicle thoroughly before moving it to the self-storage facility to help protect its furniture, paint, rubber, and electrical wiring.
- Use a cover to shield your vehicle from dust.
- Remove the battery. Purchase a battery “trickle” charger to keep your battery charged while it is not in use.
- Fill up the tires to their highest level. Check for potential tire damage as tires could deflate or rot while in storage.
- Make the necessary repairs or maintenance before storing your vehicle. These should not be done inside the storage facility.
- To prevent leaks and fire hazards, drain the fuel tank and make sure that you have taken out as much gasoline as possible. This is very important, especially if you plan to store your vehicle for a long period. Check gaskets and fuel lines. Lay down cardboard or mats on the unit’s floor so it does not get damaged.
- Be sure to have a copy of your proof of registration and insurance as this is generally required by storage facilities.
Taking these few extra measures before keeping your vehicle in our self-storage facility will ensure that you will enjoy the same level of performance the next time you use it. If you have any questions, we will be glad to answer them. Just give us a call at (330) 875-4237 or (330) 875-8030 or email us today..